Mardi Gras and masks go hand in hand. The mystery and creativity surrounding them has always been one of my favorite parts of the celebrations. I couldn’t wait to put together a mask building craft for the kids and with a few items we already had laying around the house, this project was super easy! The kids loved being able to decorate their own masks with glitter and feathers and all sorts of fun stuff!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Construction Paper (purple, green, & gold)
- Tape or glue
- Crayons or Markers (depending on age)
- Glitter (glitter pens are easier for less mess or THESE glitter stickers for no mess)
- Large sequins or jewels (THESE are awesome because they are self adhesive)
- Hole Punch
- String (THESE elastic ones worked best for us) or Straw
- Grab the construction paper of choice, a marker, and your scissors. Trace an outline of a mask on your paper and cut it out.
- If using a straw, skip this step! Punch a hole on each side on the mask. This will be where you attach the string at the end.
- Using tape or glue, help your child attach the feathers to the mask you’ve cut out. Continue to help them decorate using the glitter, stickers, sequins, or jewels. If you used glue, allow it to dry completely.
- If using a straw, skip this step! Attach your string to each side of your mask. Make sure to adjust it to fit your child’s face!
- If using straw, tape the straw to the side of the mask so that your child can hold it up to their face.
- Now you’re ready to party! Take a picture and share it with us!
Like what you see? Let us know! Drop a comment, hit the like button, & be sure to subscribe for more fun content below!